Who is the Vaka programme for?
- Vaka is for young Pasifika people (18 – 35 years) who already have a business idea
- Each Vaka intake or class is limited to 20
- This programme is for those who are able to dedicate more time to their idea (within a shorter timeframe)
What kind of things will I learn?
Vaka is about providing you with the right frameworks and tools to test your business idea. It will help you build out the details, and to work out if there is a viable market for your idea. The programme is a mixture of learning frameworks that test business ideas, and you'll also hear from inspirational business owners and leaders. Topics for this programme include:
- Design thinking
- Customer personas
- Lean canvas business model
- Modelling and testing, and much more!
What is the time commitment?
- The programme will run for 6 weeks
- Half day classes will be delivered twice a week
- You will be provided with resources and ‘homework’ to complete in your own time (roughly two days worth of work – which you are welcome to spread across the week)
We understand that everyone has other life, family and community commitments; however, all participants are asked to make their best effort and attend all classes (only 12 in total).
How will it be delivered?
Like everything else, COVID-19 has impacted how we deliver this programme.
- The October intake will be delivered 100% online. This means you can join the programme from anywhere in the motu
- Future intakes dependent on alert levels and lockdown restrictions. However, any future in-person delivery will be conducted in Auckland – Central
Who will deliver the programme?
You will be supported by dedicated facilitators who will guide you through the programme (who you will see every lesson) and you will get to meet lots of cool, inspirational business owners and leaders.
When does the programme start?
- Intake 1 – 03 November 2021
- Intake 2 – 08 December 2021
What support and resources will be provided?
We are here to make this as easy as possible for you and to help remove barriers to learning and participating. Please talk to us about your personal situation and what support you might require to join the Vaka programme. All participants will have the opportunity to receive:
- An electronic device to join the classes online and undertake the ‘homework’ and learning in your own time
- Support for internet connectivity
- The opportunity to be partnered with a ‘mentor’ (in a group mentorship setting).
- Support to cover public transport costs (for in-person classes)
- Access to a shared co-working space in Auckland Central (dependent on COVID-19 lockdown levels and restrictions).